Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Apartment: FOUND!

Howdy! I finally have some great, exciting news to report so I wanted to post it on the blog!

After nearly 2 months of searching I have found an apartment! The location is amazing... right in downtown Portsmouth! Walking distance to shops, bars, restaurants! My good friend Beth decided that she'd like to look for a two bedroom apartment with me so we began the hunt just a couple of weeks ago. We saw a few places that definitely weren't going to work out and one place that was so completely wonderful except that the only full bath was off of one of the bedrooms- we tried desperately to think of a way to work around this, but, in the end... it wasn't meant to be. Finally on Saturday we found a place to call home!

It's a 2 bedroom/ 1 bathroom on the third floor of a 5 unit building in the historic district of Portsmouth. The entire unit has been redone as the former tenant, an elderly woman, lived there for 18 years so no updates had taken place in quite some time. The bedrooms are not huge, but still a good size and the bathroom is completely redone and pretty spacious, with a skylight so it's nice and bright. The kitchen is big and there's room for my little white table. There's a dishwasher and all of the cabinets and counter tops are new as well. The living room is right off the kitchen and also pretty big. Because it is the top floor the ceilings are slanted so I'm not sure if anything too tall will fit against the walls but we'll think of something and there really is plenty of space. There are a couple skylights in this room too! Our rent includes heat and hot water but we'll be responsible for the cable and electric bill, even so, it's in my price range. Beth and I know nothing about setting up cable and electricity but that's what parents are for, right? We have off street parking, which is fabulous considering the close proximity to downtown. I have a feeling the street parking, which is metered, gets pretty crowded. Snow removal is taken care of in the winter, also a plus!

On Friday I'll go sign the lease and get the keys! I'll probably bring over a few things at that time as well but we officially move in on Monday. I'm working all weekend and Beth will be in Maine for the holiday but we both have Monday off, as do my Dad and brother, Adam. We'll get the heavy stuff in that day and since I'll have a bed in there, Monday will be my first night in the new place, with the kitties of course!

I'm so glad for Belami and Neve's sake that we found an apartment finally! They don't like being in the room when they can hear people (mainly me) upstairs and Belami scratches the door and the carpet in an attempt to get out! What a naughty boy!! They are really going to be happy in the new space!

We started shopping for the apartment yesterday and found some great deals on cute plates, glasses and some mixing bowls. I have a few kitchen basics- pots and pans etc- already so I think we'll wait until we move in to figure out what else we need. We didn't like any of the shower curtains we saw but that's something we'll need soon... can't take a shower without a shower curtain...

I'm glad that most of my stuff is still in boxes. That will make it easier to move and I don't have to do a lot of packing! I can't wait to be settled! I'll take some pictures and post them for everyone to check out. It'll be empty at first but as we get furniture moved in and start to accessorize I'll post new pics!

Things are going great! Good to be home but I really do miss Park City a lot :( The whole experience is starting to feel like a dream... like it never really happened... I wish things had worked out for me to stay at least a little bit longer. But enough about that! I've decided to live in the moment. Don't worry about the past, don't worry about the future, just ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Heather - you are living the young single life of my dreams! :) If you have time this weekend, you should zip over to my house which is just a few mins from JCrew. I have a couple of items that you might want to consider for your place, and I would love to gift them to you if you want them. We're in clean up, pare down mode. Let me know if you want to come by. Congrats on finding such a fab place! Can't wait for you to host book group! Love Vivian

    ReplyDelete